Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Winslow's Wisdom

One of my favorite authors is Octavius Winslow, a nonconformist preacher in 19th century England. His book The Work of the Holy Spirit has had a deep impact on me, so much so that I named my third child after him (and after Jonathan Edwards' wife). Anyway, one thing he captures so well is the connection between gospel faith and life change. Here are three quotes from that book that I go back to over and over again.
“It is by simple, close, and searching views of the cross of Christ that the Spirit most effectually sanctifies the believer. This is the true and great method of gospel sanctification... The Spirit especially and effectually sanctifies by unfolding the cross of Jesus.”

“Let no man dream of true mortification of sin, of real sanctification of heart, who does not deal constantly, closely and believingly with the atoning blood of Jesus.”

“Self-trust, self-complacency, self-boasting all must be crucified... Our wisdom is to go in our weakness and folly to Jesus. In this lies the great secret of our victory: ‘When I am weak, then I am strong.’”

No comments: