Friday, January 23, 2009

My Challenge

There is an article by World Magazine columnist Andree Seu that I keep in my Bible and pull out quite often. She writes, 
"In normal times one tends to derive one's security from notoriously losable things, even while continuing to believe that one has placed one's house squarely on the Rock. If you are a child of His, God will not let that state of affairs persist indefinitely." 
Seu is piggy-backing off of German pastor-martyr, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who said, "The disciple is dragged out of his relative security into a life of absolute insecurity." This is the place from which I tend to run. I want safety. Comfort. Security. But as Seu says, "There is no place than on this scary adventure that we learn to trust Jesus." Whether it is the flood of my sin or the stress of circumstance, I am called to live by the saving and sustaining grace of God. And part of living by grace is learning to live by grace. That is my challenge today: to believe the promises of God in the gospel, experience rest, and walk in the security of the Savior's shadow (Ps. 91:1).

No comments: