Friday, January 16, 2009

The Sinner's Place

In Stanley Voke's wonderful book, Personal Revival: Living the Christian Life in Light of the Cross, he talks about the significance of "the sinner's place." He says, "The hardest thing for anyone is to take the sinner's place." Simply put, "the sinner's place is where [I] take blame."It is the place where I am real, honest, authentic, and vulnerable. While I naturally resist that place with all my might, the Spirit guides me (sometimes pushes me) there, not to condemn, but to help me see my need of Jesus as my only righteousness, and therefore, my only glory, boast, and ultimate joy. For the gospel tells me that "the righteousness of God" (as well as the peace, hope, and joy of God) is only given to those who stand in the sinner's place. This is because Jesus has already stood there, or better, was nailed there in my place. So when I am honest with myself, God, and others, about the reality of my sin and need for redemption, the sinner's place becomes "the place of true peace, for here [I] cease my strivings and find [my] God... Here [I] cast away [my] pretense, and admit who I really am. Here [I] come to Jesus to be cleansed by his precious blood. Here the Holy Spirit fills and holiness is found. Here are the springs of revival."  

I've had to stand there this week (as I should every day). It is a painful and humiliating place. I really don't want to fess up to the deeply flawed and sinful McKay. But not to be here is make-believe and a sham. However, as the gospel promises, I am finding the sinner's place to be uniquely liberating, and drawing me to glory in and love Jesus as my Savior more than I could have imagined. Indeed, the sinner's place, for those who will go there, is a place of abundant grace.

"Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling."

No comments: