Thursday, January 1, 2009

Education is Not Enough

As we look forward to beginning a new church later this year, I thought that it would be a good idea to read through the book of Acts, the story of the expansion of the early church by the Spirit-empowered preaching of the gospel. Anyway, in chapter 1, just before his ascension, Jesus tells his disciples that they will be his witnesses to the ends of the earth. However, he also tells them not to launch out on the mission. Really? Why not? After all, they had been given the best theological education anyone could receive—three years being taught personally by Jesus before the crucifixion, and then a forty day crash course following the resurrection. What did they lack? Jesus tells them to "wait for the gift my Father has promised." That gift would be the indwelling, empowering presence of the Holy Spirit, who was to fill them with the power they would need to be witnesses of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. 

I do not despise theological education at all. Rather, I prize it highly– and have the degrees to prove it.  But education is not enough (and in some cases it may get in the way if I lean on my knowledge as the power of ministry rather than the simple message of the gospel being empowered by the Holy Spirit). What I need is the continual filling of the Holy Spirit—the Spirit who fills those who are empty of self-power and need the strength of Jesus.

So, if you are following the Dahlonega church plant, would you stop now, just for a minute, and pray that I would grow increasingly aware of my inability to effectively preach and minister the gospel, and that I would become increasingly aware of my need for the empowering grace and overwhelming ability of the Holy Spirit?  

2 comments:

dmc said...

McKay, I was reading about the Dahlonega Church and am so excited about it. I've prayed that the Lord will continue to lead you and bless you in doing His work. I will continue to pray for you & Kristy and the family.
Because of Him,
Debbie

McKay Caston said...

Thanks, Debbie!