Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Keller's Preaching Model

Here is a simple version of what I perceive to be Tim Keller's "structural method" of preaching the gospel, where he is able to build "narrative tension" that longs for the story to reveal God's saving, liberating and transforming grace.

I. Introduction. He introduces the topic/life issue that is raised in the Bible passage.

II. Law. He reveals our problems related to the issue by describing what should be done/thought/etc. vs. what we actually do/think. This "creates the need/longing" for the gospel.

III. Gospel. This is where Jesus comes to the rescue as the hero through identification, substitution, mediation, etc. He is the greater Moses, the greater Joseph, the ultimate Daniel, the ultimate Esther, etc. For example, she said "if I perish, I perish," but Jesus said, "When I perish..." So Jesus is not merely a moralistic example, but is a redemptive Savior from both worldly irreligion and worldly religion.

IV. Application. This is the redemptive application part. If the gospel begins to define my identity, this is what can happen by the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. What I could not do before, or did with wrong motives, now I can do because of the life of Jesus in me (Gal. 2:20). The gospel provides the new motivation and new power for change.

For application Keller tends to use a tri-perspectival approach, which keeps the gospel touching all of life, rather than merely one sector. The three perspectives are (truth) theological applications (truth), personal/devotional applications (life), and cultural renewal applications (kingdom).

If you'll notice, Keller often outlines his messages along the lines of this narrative tension.
1. the life issue
2. the law problem
3. the gospel solution
4. the redemptive applicaition

1 comment:

Robbyn Abedi said...

Hey brother. Not sure you remember us meeting when you were at Lawndale through Jonathan McIntosh, but Jamey Finley told me you would be in Tupelo in the near future. I would love to get coffee if you have time and talk planting and Gospel resources. You can tweet me via @abedis or email me - abedis@gmail.com.
Enjoy your posts and look forward to hearing from you.