Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Gift of Brokenness

I don't like broken stuff. I want it either fixed or thrown out. But God loves broken stuff. King David knew this when he wrote, "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." And the way we get "broken" usually hurts.

Applying this concept to leadership in Leading with a Limp, Dan Allender says,

"For most leaders, humility comes only by wounds suffered from foolish falls... We achieve brokenness by falling off of our throne. To be broken is not a choice; it is a gift."

Hmmm... I suppose it is only when I am conscious of my brokenness as a leader that I am genuinely equipped to lead as an ambassador of Jesus. Paul led as the chief repenter in his day—as a big sinner who had an even bigger Savior. He refused to be the hero, because that role was reserved for Jesus. So that's what I want today: a consciousness of my cracks that, although I would not have chosen them, are present as gifts. Wounds through which humility and wisdom are created and through which grace can now flow.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: