Friday, March 27, 2009

I'm Not Done Yet

I'm not done yet. That thought struck me as we drove from Atlanta to Benton, Mississippi, the other day. What I mean is that sanctification (the practical holiness that the Spirit works in my life as I believe the gospel) is progressive. Like a chicken that takes time to bake, my growth in grace in ongoing, and will not be complete until Jesus takes me home or comes back. In fact, if that chicken takes an hour to cook, it feels like I only have been in the oven for a few minutes. I'm not done yet. And the minute I think that I am done, I'm really cooked! But even that happens all the time. When I condescend, hold grudges, and condemn others I am acting as if I am done and they are not. That is the essence of self-righteous Phariseeism. Yes, I am a recovering Pharisee whose sin of self-centered, sinful pride runs so deep, which is why I am growing in thankfulness to God that his grace runs deeper still. That is my hope when I see the raw, unfinished me. It is then that I remember that sanctification is also positional (I have been declared justified by the Father based on the perfect gift-righteousness of Jesus), which is the promise that "he who began a good work in me will complete it" and will "present me before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy." Because of the cross, I have the hope of glory and glorification, which is a huge encouragement for folks like me who are not done yet.

No comments: