Wednesday, March 4, 2009

And that's it?

I am a recovering Pharisee who falls off of the wagon all of the time, slipping back into a mode of self-righteous pride (when I think I do well) and insecurity (when I fail, or if someone else does well).  So what I need is radically grace-centered preaching to keep my heart in line with the gospel. 

That is why I was so grieved today to read a quote from one of the most influential pastor/preachers in the country, and maybe the world. I respect him so much and have been helped by him in many ways, and when it comes to communication, he is gifted with a big G. Nevertheless, speaking about his preaching philosophy, he says,
"Here is the model: Make people feel like they need an answer to a question. Then take them to God's Word to answer the question. And tell them why it is important to do what we just talked about. And then you close by saying, 'Wouldn't it be great if everybody did that?' And that's it."
And that's it? 

Now, I am not a great preacher, and I've preached self-help, man-centered moralism more times than I want to admit. But I crave for experienced leaders to preach the gospel to me.  I desperately need help seeing the cross, the blood, and the glory of God's propitiatory grace.

And since he is such a great leader/preacher, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, assuming that if he had the chance to say it again, he would replace "and that's it" with how our failure to keep the law and practice wisdom leads us to Jesus and the cross. At that point redemptively motivated and empowered application could flow from what then would be a gospel-centered sermon rather than a moralistic sermon.  And so when I hear someone get to the part when he asks, "'Wouldn't it be great if everybody did that," I hope that he will point me to the only one who did. The One who is my only hope and my complete salvation. His name is Jesus.

4 comments:

Jay Smorey said...

What strikes me about his comment is not only the ending, but how he starts: "Make people feel like they need an answer to a question." My gut reaction is to think that, when we use that as a starting point, we end up overly-domesticating Scripture and God because it really limits and even governs everything we would say and do as we preach. In other words, that principle would then dictate our preaching and not Scripture itself.

Ironically, I was just reading an interview with Timothy George of Beeson Divinity School, and his comment really resonated with me: "Preachers of the Gospel are heralds of another world, charged to deliver a message they did not invent, a message of great urgency addressed to every single person in the world." Whether it be evangelism or formal preaching behind the pulpit, I think his comment really captures the mindset we should have in preaching.

McKay Caston said...

Good word. Thanks, Jay.

Unknown said...

Love your blog posts, love them, love them, love them. Keep writing. You have a gift for communicating the gospel.

Scott L.

McKay Caston said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Scott.