Friday, February 27, 2009

Thou Alone

This stanza from Augustus Toplady's famous hymn has been on my mind today...
"Not the labors of my hands
can fulfill thy law's commands;
could my zeal no respite know,
could my tears forever flow,
all for sin could not atone;
thou must save, and thou alone."
That is why Jesus lived and died. To save people like me who could never save themselves. He must save, and he alone.  And thank God, those whom he saves, he also sustains. As Jesus says of those who repent and believe, "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand."   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Absolutely love your blog!! Points me to Jesus!! As a graduate of UGA I'm very excited to see a gospel-centered church planted in north Georgia.

Found your blog through twitter post by Jonathan Macintosh.

I was the associate pastor at The Orchard in Tupelo for 3 plus years and am now the associate at Christ Untied Methodist in Memphis. Just down the street from 2nd on Poplar.

I've been listening to Keller and working through Gospel Transformation again and again for the past few years. It's core material when I disciple others.
In fact, I'll be teaching it to a group of disciple-makers at our church this fall along with Robbyn Abedi, from Tupelo. Check out www.christcollegememphis.org He introduced me to Keller...who was probably introduced to Keller by Jonathan, who was introduced to Keller by you.

I heard you were at Perimeter. Did you know David Grant in student ministries? He did some consulting with us a year ago.

I noticed you will be in Memphis at the end of March. I would love to connect if you have any time available.

Scott Lees
scottL@cumcmemphis.org