Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Second Look

I came across a hymn of John Newton today (I don't know the title, only the words), in which his eyes fix twice on those of Jesus on the cross. The first look overwhelms him with guilt and shame, but the second convinces him of God's immeasurable grace and complete forgiveness. That is the law (the first look) driving him and me to the gospel (the second look), and is why I need to spend time meditating on the cross of Jesus. I first need to feel the pain of my sin so that I more deeply can experience and appreciate the hight, depth, width, and breadth of God's amazing grace toward and love for me in Jesus. It is encountering such grace that not only consoles me, but changes me. So don't miss the second look!
In my sin I took delight
Unawed by shame or fear
Until a new object met my sight
And stopped my wild career

I saw one hanging on a tree
In agony and blood
Who fixed his languid eyes on me
As near his cross I stood

Sure never til my last breath
Will I forget that look
It seemed to charge me with his death
Though not a word he spoke

My conscience owned and felt my guilt
And plunged me in despair
I knew my sins his blood had spilt
And served to nail him there.

A second look he gave which said
I freely all forgive
My blood was for your ransom paid,
I died that you may live.
Let me emphasize it again to my own heart: do not miss the second look, but gaze and gaze upon him who is my Savior and Priceless Treasure. 

No comments: