Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mystic Wisdom

English Mystic, Julian of Norwich, said, "The greatest honor we can give to Almighty God is to live gladly because of the knowledge of his love." Really? But I tend to live so joylessly because of a knowledge of my failure and sin. I am so unlovable. But the gospel is for folks just like me. The unworthy. The unlovely. The unrighteous. The gospel is for folks like me, because we can glorify God the most. Not because of our goodness... but because "where sin abounded, grace abounded more." It is this grace that delivers the love of God to the soul. And delighting in God's love glorifies the giver of this love... the kind of love that makes the ultimate sacrifice to reconcile a wayward son or daughter. The kind of love of which the cross speaks so clearly. And so my desire today is to glean from Julian's mystic wisdom by delighting in and savoring the deep, rich, eternal, unexpected, and unrelenting love of God expressed to me in Jesus. Even when I don't feel loved or think that I should be loved, I will look to the cross, and pray for the gladness that glorifies God.

No comments: