Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Real Thing

Brennan Manning (no relation to Archie, Peyton or Eli), in his modern devotional classic, The Ragamuffin Gospel, says, "Unlike Quasimodo, the hunchback of Notre Dame, we need not hide all that is ugly and repulsive in us. Jesus comes not for the super-spiritual, but for the wobbly and the weak-kneed who know that don't have it together." In a word, I think Manning is getting at the point that because of the cross, I now can be real. Real about the pervasiveness of my sinfulness now (not just before I was a Christian), and real about the pervasiveness of God's grace to me in Jesus now (not just when I became a Christian).  In the paraphrased words of Dr. Tim Keller, I am more sinful and morally depraved than I would ever be able to admit (or fully understand), but in the gospel, at the very same time, I am more forgiven, loved and accepted than I could ever dare to dream.  Oh, to live like I really believe that. I believe... help my unbelief!

No comments: