Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Preaching at East Lanier

The next two Sundays I will be preaching for Alan Foster at East Lanier Community Church in Buford/Flowery Branch, GA. This week I am teaching from John 4:1-26, “Through Samaria.” I am giving the message that title because in verse 4, John says that Jesus “had to go through Samaria.” Hmmm… had to? Actually, there were other ways to Galilee than through Samaria. Jesus could have travelled east along the Jordan River, or on the other side of the Jordan (like the Pharisees would do in order to avoid Samaria). So I think that understanding why Jesus “had” to go through Samaria will shed light on the very heart of Jesus’ purpose and mission… and will provide plenty of grace-centered teaching on what a missional church might look like. Geographically, Jesus did NOT have to go through Samaria. Missionally, he did. As Steve Brown would say, “You think about that.” Okay, I think I will… and will tell you what I came up with on Sunday at East Lanier. :)

1 comment:

Family Rebuilding the Wall said...

This is the first time I checked your blog in awhile (time got away from me!), and it dropped my jaw that this blog entry you wrote 5 days ago is exactly what I asked you about TODAY. I have no doubt in my mind that God is moving in this. SAME MESSAGE over and over: detour to Samaria. The need is great...the harvest is waiting. Let us be His Hands and Feet!
AB