Saturday, December 27, 2008

Rejecting Moralism

After reading Keller's The Prodigal God, one of the ideas that really has gripped me is that many people who consider themselves Christians actually have not embraced the true Christian message at all, but rather have embraced a form of religious moralism. On the other hand, many people who think that they have rejected the true Christian message have not rejected it at all. They have rejected religious moralism. I identify so well with the former, and am recognizing the need to repent of all kinds of self-righteousness. In light of this fresh gospel discovery, I find myself wanting to help religious moralists (like me) discover and experience the glory of God's grace in Jesus. And at the same time, I find myself wanting to help folks who think that they have rejected the gospel to see that what they really have rejected is religious moralism—and I want to reject that, too!  So, I pray that doors will open for opportunities to share with both the "religious" and "irreligious" what I am learning about the gospel in my own life... the gospel that (according to my good friend, Tim Keller) tells me that I am more flawed and sinful than I would ever dare to admit, but at the same time, because Jesus lived and died in my place, I am more forgiven, loved, and accepted than I could ever dare to dream.  The gospel is not religion (what I do for God). It is grace (what God has done for me/and others like me). O, how I want to live like God's grace is really true!

No comments: