Friday, December 26, 2008

The Gospel as My Functional Operating System

Just as a computer runs on a certain "operating system," so too my heart has a functional operating system. And just like there is a battle in the computer world between the PC OS and the Mac OS, so too there is a battle within my heart (Galatians 5). Will I allow idols to drive me, or will I live in line with, or under the influence of the gospel? In The Prodigal God, Tim Keller says, "Even after you are converted by the gospel your heart will go back to operating on other principles [than grace] unless you deliberately, repeatedly set it to gospel-mode." Then he quotes the earthy Martin Luther, who said, "The truth of the gospel is the principle article of all Christian doctrine.... Most necessary is it that we know this article well, teach it to others, and beat it into their heads continually."

I don't know about you, but I need it beat into my head continually.  And what a hard head it is! And so as I press on to live in the fullness of God's amazing grace to me in the cross of Jesus, I pray that I will be given grace to effectively "reboot" the gospel daily, hourly, minute by minute—for God's glory, my joy, and the good of those around me.

No comments: